Waterborne disease and illnesses caused by the absence of sanitary domestic water, are a leading cause of death worldwide. The world bank states that 88 percent of all diseases are due to unsanitary drinking water, poor hygiene and sanitation. The World Health Organization states that 80% of diseases contacted during travel are from contaminated water. A variety of microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses and protozoa, which often come from human and animal waste that has entered the water, can cause serious health risks.
Water that may cause concern can be easily filtered through effective water purification systems. SteriPEN is a handheld water filtration system that uses ultraviolet light to make drinking water safe. Leading bottled manufacturers use the same type of technology, along with major cities in the United States, Europe and Asia. It is a small version of the UV-light technologies used in municipal water purification plants around the world. It is manufactured by Hydro-Photon.
Buy SteriPEN Water Purifier Today On Amazon.com
How to Use the SteriPEN
The SteriPEN is small, quick and easy to use:
- Stick the SteriPEN into a glass of water or water bottle
- Turn it on and a purple light will glow
- Stir the SteriPEN around in the water
- When the light goes off, the water is purified
It takes 48 seconds to purify 16 ounces of water and 90 seconds for 32 ounces.
The SteriPEN has been through extensive testing. Independent laboratories across the U.S. and Canada have confirmed that the SteriPEN is safe and effective. Studies have been done at University of Arizona, University of Maine, Oregon Health Sciences University and A&L laboratories. All tests proved that the SteriPEN exceeds the standards of the U.S. EPA Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers. Studies have shown that the light technology eliminates over 99.9% of harmful bacteria, viruses and protozoa, thus protecting it’s users from waterborne diseases. It has been awarded the Water Quality Association’s Gold Seal, which certifies it’s effectiveness.
OUTDOOR STERIPENs – lamp life is 8000 treatments
- Classic – The Classic is known as the workhorse of the SteriPEN family. It is the largest at 5.7 ounces. It has the longest battery life, using 4 AA lithium batteries. It can purify 200 half-liters of water with one set of batteries. The tapered end provides a snug fit with water bottles. ($99.95)
- Journey – The top of the line SteriPen for purifying water in the outdoors. It has an LCD screen that displays the water choice amount (16 or 32 ounces), battery status and countdown timer to tell when the process is complete. The screen also tracks the number of uses and signals when the lamp is coming to the end of its life. It weighs 4.5 ounces. ($99.95)
- Adventurer – The Adventurer is half the size of the Classic Model at 3.6 ounces. ($99.95)
- AdventurerOpti – Has a weight of 3.6 ounces. It uses a revolutionary optical eye to sense the water. The new optical sensor doubles as a LED flashlight. The patent-pending technology provides safe use and the insulating sleeve around the UV lamp allows very cold water to be purified. ($99.95)
Other SteriPEN Models
- Traveler – The most affordable SteriPen. It is designed to fit perfectly into commercial water bottles. It forms a seal that allows the water to be purified in its original bottle. Lamp life is 3000 treatments. ($59.95)
- Traveler Mini – This SteriPEN has a sleek, compact design and weighs in at 3.6 ounces. Lamp life is 3000 treatments. ($69.95)
- Emergency – Also fits perfectly into commercial water bottles and has an unlimited shelf life. It has 5000 uses per replaceable lamp unit. ($59.95)
- Protector and Defender – The olive drab color of the these SteriPens make them better for hunters and military personnel.
The SteriPEN Classic, Adventurer and Journey are all warranted to conform to their published specifications. They are warranted to be free from defective materials or workmanship for as long as the products are owned. The lamp, however, is warranted for its recommended lifetime of treatments. The SteriPEN Traveler, Traveler Mini and Emergency are warranted for one year from the date of purchase. Hydro-Photon will repair or replace any parts necessary to correct defects in materials or workmanship, free of charge. The owner must register their SteriPen online within 14 days of the date of purchase to activate the limited warranty or retain and send a copy of the original proof of purchase receipt.
- Easy to use.
- No pumping or timekeeping is required
- SteriPEN manufacturers claim there is no after taste or chemical odor. Users of the product seem to agree there is no chlorine taste.
- The only portable water purifier that uses UV-light technologies comparable to many municipal water purification plants.
- Before the SteriPEN is put into the water it must be clear, therefore, it may need to be pre-filtered for sediments or debris. A coffee filter can be easily used, though it adds time to the purification process.
- Cloudy or stained water can make the UV light less effective.
- The battery life is long, however, if the batteries lose power the gadget will no longer work.
2 Responses to SteriPEN Water Purifier